GET READY TO PADDLE!
We are ready to get back on the water (many thanks to CKBC, the City of Burnaby, and the Burnaby Lake Rowing Club - this was a team effort!)!
Things will look a little different, of course, but we're looking forward to seeing paddlers of all ages returning.
One additional difference is that we have a new registration system, as mandated by Canoe Kayak Canada. It will take a little getting used to, and it involves a few more steps initially - please be patient.
Here's what's coming up for the summer:
Canoekids Camps - day camps start July 6. We will have smaller numbers (max 10) and shorter sessions (12-4pm)
Youth sprint programs - beginner/ intermediate and high performance - no regattas this year and the number of sessions is reduced:
Beginners: Wednesdays 5:30 to 7 pm, Saturdays 9:45 to 11:15 am
Intermediate: Tuesdays 9 to 10:30 am, Wednesdays 4 to 5:30 pm, Thursdays 9 to 10:30 am
High Performance: Monday-Friday 7 to 9:30 am, Saturday 7:30-9:30 am (Tues & Thurs sessions coached, all other sessions self-led)
Membership for adult paddlers - with optional boat storage.
For adult members, please check the lake calendar to see what else is going on. In order to facilitate distancing, try to avoid the first and last 20 minutes or so of a rowing or canoe/kayak session. Also, please arrive ready to paddle, change in your vehicle, and avoid the changerooms/washrooms as much as possible. No belongings other than shoes should be left in the boathouse or on the dock.
Lake calendar: http://burnabylakerowing.ca/?page_id=8
BCKC is a non-profit organization that services our community with flatwater canoe and kayak opportunities, in a safe and positive environment lead by nationally certified coaches. We are supported by a committed group of members who volunteer their time and energy to share our passion for paddling. BCKC is a member of the provincial sport organization Canoe Kayak BC and the national sport organization Canoe Kayak Canada.
Register now for
Parent Member link:
Membership Registration link
Summer Sprint link:
Please read the following carefully before you register:
1. You will need to set up a profile first. You can add family members. Once that's done, the system will remember your information and you can just add programs in the future.
2. There is no "shopping cart" in this system, so you will unfortunately find that you need to make multiple payments.
3. You will notice that the Canoe Kayak Canada insurance fee, which was normally embedded in the total fees, is now charged separately. The good news though is that you only have to pay it ONCE per participant. So if you register for two weeks of Canoekids, you only pay the CKC fee one time.
4. All youth and adult paddlers, including Canoekids participants, are required to become members in order to satisfy insurance requirements. We have kept the rates low and adjusted the program fees in consideration of this. Youth members (including Canoekids) must also have one parent join as a member. Again, this is a once-a-year fee so families with multiple participants get a break here (this replaces the multi-child discount we used to have).
5. Adult and junior members not in programs can purchase boat storage as an add-on when they register as members.
6. The waivers, including the added COVID waiver, are really long, and bilingual. There are checkboxes partway down as well as at the end - don't miss them!
7. At the moment the system does not seem to be generating confirmation emails. For now, you will receive a screenshot from our Treasurer as a confirmation. We are just waiting for a system tech to fix this from their end.
Please let us know if you have any difficulties or questions. Looking forward to seeing everyone back on the water!
CanoeKids and Youth Summer Camps
Half-day weekly programs available
Read more »
Youth Sprint Programs
These programs provide an introduction to the sport of canoe and kayak racing. The entry-level program is geared to introduce participants to the sport and the equipment.
Read more »
If you are just in it for the fun or you want to compete, BCKC Adults program has a program that's right for you. BCKC offers recreational Canoe/Kayak lessons, competitive Canoe/Kayak and Dragon Boat programs for everyone!
(due to lack of numbers, no adult programs at this time)
Read more »